Monday, October 11, 2010

The Color Purple

Today, I watched The Color Purple.

The Color Purple is one of my favorite movies of all time, as well as one of my favorite books of all time (after The Bible and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings). There are so many reasons why The Color Purple appeals to me - the story, the imagery, the sense of hope, the empowerment, even the pain....

I can identify with Celie; really, I think all of us can identify with Celie in some way - her pain, the feeling of being unloved, the discovery of love, hope. I think it's awesome that she stayed hopeful all those years, despite the pain, mistreatment, disrespect, and fear. And, I love that she finally got the strength to leave "Mister" and have an ending that was far better then her beginning.

I was posting status updates on Facebook the whole time I watched the movie. I'm trippin' that I was crying through most of the movie - I had NEVER cried while watching this movie! I'm blaming it on the fact that I had been awake for over 26 hours, and was back up after a three-hour nap (or, maybe I'm more in touch with my emotions - who knows)


I'll close this post with the words I left on Facebook after the movie went off -

Wow... I forgot how watching The Color Purple can be a real-live experience (I'm blaming all this crying on my sleep deprivation, though!). This movie (and the book) will always be one of my favorites.

A "real-live" experience indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment