Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Worldly artists frontin' as Gospel artists...

So, I just heard Canton Jones' new single via Youtube... yeah.



My first impulse was to "go in" on this song. But, I'll keep it calm.
I will say this - I can appreciate Canton Jones' talent, vocal ability, and creativity. I own three of his albums (The Passcode, Love Jones, and Kingdom Business). But, I wasn't feeling that song (and several of his other songs). I understand that he probably bleeped the word "Christian" in the song, but what's the purpose of bleeping words in the first place? And, why are Christians up in the club? Why is he buying out the bar? What's up with riding up in a Bentley? Anyway...

I'll be honest - I don't listen to as much gospel music as I used to because I see so much worldliness in so many of these gospel artists! When I got saved for real, I got saved because I was tired of the world. I saw that the things of the world have no long-term merit, and I desired to pursue Him that had eternal merit. Yet, many of these "gospel" artists want to rep Christ and rep the world at the same time. Braggadocio, swagger, displaying one's riches, talking about one's riches and so forth have NO PLACE IN CHRIST!!! Some of these folk talk more about a Bentley that they don't own than they do about Jesus Christ - it's amazing (and so sad)!
It's getting harder and harder to find some good gospel/Christian music that not trying to sound like the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It's harder and harder to find gospel videos that don't look like something off 106 & Park.
And, I don't have a problem with different forms and styles of music. I like rap (I write raps myself), I like guitars, I like "beats". But, I don't like the world. And, I wish some of these so-called "gospel" artists felt the same way.

Some more examples of what I'm talkin' 'bout:




No comments:

Post a Comment