Monday, January 24, 2011

What Will You Do With Jesus’ Tattoo?

So, I read a article by J. Lee Grady, Contributing Editor of Charisma magazine (a link is at the end of this blog). I enjoy Grady's articles - he's quite insightful and spiritually sound in his writings. I often find myself pondering his words and viewing them in light of my own thoughts and perceptions.
The article I read today "What Will You Do With Jesus' Tatoo?" was a pretty good one (as usual). The title was misleading, as Grady spent about 2/3 of the article dealing with the various misunderstandings that most Christians have about our Lord and Savior. Most people want Jesus to be a "Genie in a Bottle" or a "Kum-by-yah guru" or a democrat or a republic, when he's none of those things and he really doesn't even fit into our small-minded categories.
But, in the first 1/3 of the article, he did deal with tattoo. He cited Revelation 19:16, which says, And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KINGS OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS (KJV). Many in the church understand this to be a marking (or tattoo) on Jesus' thigh; many in the church also use this Scripture to justify getting a tattoo or tattoos. However, many in the church are against tattoos, citing Leviticus 19:28, which says Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print an marks upon you; I am the Lord.

I spent time in prayer over this issue in 2009, after someone pointed out to me Revelation 19:16 - that person wasn't interested in a tattoo, but wasn't sure how to reconcile Revelation 19-16 with Leviticus 19:28. I had my personal opinion on the subject of tattoos, but I wanted to provide a biblically-sound answer to anyone who may have any questions or uncertainties. Many Christians will immediately cite Leviticus 19:28; while others claim Christian Liberty to justify tattoos (since we're not under the Old Testament covenant, but under a new covenant, I'm not bound to the OT law or that scripture - Leviticus 19;28).
I personally have never been a fan of tattoos - I think they're tacky. Plus, how good will they look on a person in 30-40 years, after that skin has started to thin out, sag, and the other physical affects of aging take root? Additionally, most people know by how that it's near impossible to get a job in most settings here in America with visible tattoos. For example, Lil' Wayne isn't worried about his tattoos because Lil' Wayne knows that he'll never work on Wall Street, in a law firm, or a bank; the average American doesn't have to celebrity or finances that Lil' Wayne has to provide for his future.
And, I agree with the Leviticus 19:28. Even though we're under a new covenant through Christ Jesus, and not yoked with the obligation of living by the Mosaic law, it's still in the Bible that Christians study; it's been included for a reason. The law gave the Israelites guidelines to follow to keep them distinct from their culture, as well as guidelines to perform the ceremonial duties (care for the tabernacle/temple, priestly duties, and whatnot); the law, of course, also gave moral guidelines (such as the Ten Commandments) - the moral guidelines are applicable, regardless of which covenant we subscribe to (meaning that the moral guidelines are for Christians today as well, even if they first appeared in the Old Testament).
Let's be honest - the reason why most people want a tattoo is because they're popular. Nobody, especially in the African-American community had a tattoo prior to the 1990s unless they were a gang member or had spent time in prison (or was a Satanist). Then, when Tupac Shakur and the other rappers and rock stars started getting inked up, everbody was running to the tattoo parlors to get crosses, hearts, their mother's name, Japanese symbols, and the like all over their bodies.
Many Christians are included and are caught up in the tattoo craze. Many younger Christians even use this lame excuse "I'm using my tattoo as a ministry tool." Well, if a person doesn't have power from on high, I guess they need gimmicks such as tattoos to try to reach souls for Christ. As for me, I pray and ask God that I lead a life that will stand out and make men want to know Christ; that I'll preach and teach with such conviction, authority, and power that men will be compelled. The apostles didn't need tattoos, or slang, or Holy Hip Hop to win the lost souls to Christ - they just had the truth and power, and that was enough.

As I said earlier, I spent time in prayer over this issues. Then, God took me to Genesis 4:15 - Therefore whoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him. God had me "zero in" on the part where it is written "And the Lord set a mark upon Cain". Then I thought back to Revelation 19:16, and asked this question "Where did Jesus get his tattoo from?".
Jesus and Cain get their tattoos from the same source - GOD (THE FATHER). These were the only two instances of tattooing (or marking, as the KJV calls it) (The word "tattoo" is from the polynesian word tatau, which is associated with the rites of passage of men in some polynesian cultures, which involves a navel-to-knee tattoo). My rationale is that, since the only two Biblical personalities with tattoos received them from God, and they both served a purpose (for Cain - to let the rest of mankind know that he was not to be killed; for Jesus - as part of him returning in all glory), then God is the only one who can give tattoos.


What Will You Do With Jesus’ Tattoo?

No comments:

Post a Comment