Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving weekend

So, I spent Thanksgiving Day with my family; the Clark family, who are my maternal relatives. We got together at my Aunt Sheila's home, and got "fat" together on a feast that included holiday staples like Turkey, dressing, macaroni & cheese, rolls, greens & cabbage, and an assortment of pies and cakes.
What was so cool about this particular Thanksgiving is that it reminded me of when we used to have family get-togethers when I was young. As a child, we all got together just about every holiday to eat, laugh, and enjoy each other. We were oh-so close then.
But then, families started expanding, and my aunts and uncles wanted to stay home for the holidays more. Me and my cousins got older. Some cousins (and my brothers) got locked up. My mother, father, and grandmother passed away. There were some petty arguments/disagreements over the years. Over the past decade, the holidays really haven't been the same.
But, this past Thursday was like a throwback for me. We ate ourselves to sleep, we laughed with and at each other, and there was NO drama! I truly enjoyed the company of my family, despite those who weren't there. I sure do hope that this Thanksgiving celebration is a sign of a return to the closeness and love that we once had....

No comments:

Post a Comment