Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Stand Alone



 Right now, the above song (Jai "Stand Alone") is one of my favorite songs (and her "Culture Shock" album is the "Flavor of the Month", so to speak). Not just the slow groove or the catchy chorus, but the relevance of the lyrics is probably what is catching my attention.


I was also touched by what Jai said in her interview with ugospel when asked what was her favorite song on the Culture Shock album and why-

"Stand Alone", because it was that pivotal moment in my life when I realized that everyone that started with me won't necessarily finish with me. It also reminded me of my purpose and that the one that gave it to me will NEVER leave me!


Of course, this made me think of the blog I did several weeks ago called "Lost Soldiers, Fallen Soldiers".

Also, the song, as well as that part of Jail's interview, gives me some solace in knowing that sometimes, we just have to stand alone, particularly dealing in the area of ministry. Sometimes, it's hard being an assistant pastor to such a charismatic and spiritually bold leader, which is my situation. I'm laid-back, easy going, and comical, and it's hard to be bold and confrontational sometimes. But, to uphold God's standard and to stay faithful to the work in which he has put in my hand to do, I have to just do it... even if, even for a moment, I have to stand alone.

I haven't really talked a lot about being Assistant Pastor or me in ministry - it all seems new still. I've only been Assistant Pastor for  5 1/2 months (although I've been minister/elder since January 2009). It's most definitely been a learning experience. For one, I can't say the first thing that comes to mind. I can't always crack jokes. And, if anything goes wrong or if somebody cuts up when Bishop is absent, I'm the one that gets rebuked behind the scenes (and having Bishop David J. Booker "go in" on you is NOT fun). Before, I was in the background. Now, I'm up front and seen (and accountable) - no hiding.
I know that God has called me to this though. I was content to just being "Elder Daniels", and working in the church (with some occassional preaching and teaching thrown into the mix). All in all, it's amazing to see what God is doing with me and through me, despite the growing pains, despite the moments of loneliness (like now). God is being glorified by my life and by the situation - and that's what it's about anyway.


*********************************************************************************

  • Got a few changes on the horizon - my youngest brother (maternally) will be here within 40 hours. That's gonna be a real-live adjustment. I've been in my apartment alone for two years, and now I have to adjust for a season. But, I praise God for his provision, and enabling me to be a blessing and a help to others.
  •  My Deacon (dfiggures) gave me a camera so that I wouldn't have to continue to make bootleg videos (using my phone). But, I can't figure this thing out, and I don't think it has a microphone in it. So, I may have to resort back to the bootleg setup, until I get a cam.
  •  There's a few things that I'm thinking about blogging about soon - the volume of poetry that I'm working on, my musical endeavors, a couple of Bible studies I'm working on (and may post here)... we'll see.
  • I'm also playing with the idea of doing a blog entry once a month entitled "The Life of an Assistant Pastor", which will serve to 1) give whomever is reading a glimpse of what it's like (ministry/assistant pastor's role/position), and 2) to "vent".

Well, I'm done. Until next time... laton.


No comments:

Post a Comment