Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tennessee Trip (August 8-13, 2011)

Last week I was in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee on a retreat/vacation with the AWF. I had a straight-up blast!!! I got to see a lot of sights that I didn't get to see when we went in 2008, and there were so many laughs. 

I went down there with the expectation of relaxing, eating, and having fun, and I most definitely got to do all three. I'll give a quick rundown of what I did ...

Monday - we drove down to our cabins in Pigeon Forge. Bishop Booker led a caravan of seven vans down to Pigeon Forge in just over four hours (he was moving out)! After we got settled in (including a test run of that hot tub), we went out to eat at Ryan's Buffet. Even though we have Ryan's in Cincinnati, I hadn't been in a few years, and it was on-point (except for that so-called macaroni and cheese they had the nerve to sit out on their buffett). Then, we went to Wal-Mart and Kroger to get food to keep in the cabins (I bought chicken to throw on the grill, some Doritos, and other stuff for sandwiches). After we got back to the cabins, I got into the jacuzzi bath that was in my room, and soaked before bed.




Tuesday - we went into the Great Smokey Mountains. It was just an awesome thing to see God's creativity, artistry, greatness, and complexity in the mountains. I spent much of my time in the mountains reflecting on how the God that placed each mountain, each stream, each creek, each tree, each cloud, is the same God that created me and thinks enough of me to give Jesus Christ for the salvation of my soul; and not just that, but that same God took my life and made beauty from a hot mess.
I also visited the gift shop at Clingman's Dome. I bought a keychain, a postcard, and a jar of Blackberry Preserves. I didn't climb up to the dome (maybe next time), but my postcard has a picture of it.
After coming from the mountains, we went to Huck Finn's Catfish, where they had all-you-can-eat catfish dinner - trust and believe that I ate all that I could (and almost had to repent from gluttony).







Wednesday - we spent the afternoon strolling around Gatlinburg. Several of us ate lunch at Corky's, which is a barbeque spot based out of Memphis. I ordered 10 wings (it was Fifty-Cent  Wing Wednesday) - I got Jerk Wings with fries and macaron & cheese. The chicken was on-point; they smoke all their meat, and the wings were big and meaty. I just wish they could've put more sauce on the wings.
After Corky's, we strolled up and down the Parkway. I bought some candy from an Amish store, and I got a hot caramel sundae from Ben and Jerry's (we don't have a Ben and Jerry's shop in Cincinnati. There was one here a few years ago, by the University of Cincinnati, but they didn't last - Graeter's and UDF shut 'em down). I was glad to get my sundae, and I ate it as I rode the trolley back down the Parkway to our vans.
After getting back to the cabins, I spent the evening with the Pastoral Aide committee, who cooked a feast of Turkey Breast, dressing, greens, fried chicken, and cornbread for Bishop, Co-Pastor, and myself.







Thursday - I was WORE OUT. I spent the whole day in the bed. I missed the trip to the petting zoo and to Mama's Kitchen for dinner. Maybe it's a good thing I missed Mama's Kitchen, because they said the service was horrible.



Friday - we went to the Tanger Outlet Mall. I had a ball. I didn't buy anything other than some food. I ate a personal pizza at the Mountain Edge Grill - it was just something to eat. But the real treat was the CookieCookie Sundae I got at Ben & Jerry's - it was thebomb.com! Then, I ate my sundae while riding the kiddie merry-go-round.
After the mall, I skipped the racetrack/arcade to go back to the cabin to make my macaroni & cheese (it was off-the-chain). We had a "Family Fun Night" on Friday night. The entire church met up at one of the cabins, and we ate ribs, chicken (barbequed and fried), macaroni & cheese, fruit salad, banana pudding, birthday cake (it was Sister Smith's birthday), spaghetti, and so much more other food. I ate so much I couldn't see straight!




Saturday - we came back home :-(




 It was a wonderful time! I can't wait for us to go back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment