Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 12 in '12 (Love God/Standing)

    I was just sitting here with my thoughts and Jai singing "Stand Alone" in the background when I had something of an epiphany. I thought about what the first commandment said; in Matthew 22:36-40 it is written
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments". 

     Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

    Honestly, I've felt pressure implied/applied to me to accept certain things. People and situations that I care about in varying degrees have challenged me with the above-quoted verses. I love people, but I've had to wonder how far to go in my love for my people.
    However, looking up the scripture was/is a relief for me. No matter what, I have to love God first. I have to love God before I love my neighbor. I have to love God before I love myself.
    People love to talk about how we have to love our fellow man; of course this a true statement - the Bible says so! But, honestly, I believe that people overlook the first part of the passage - Love the Lord Your God... .
   
    I'm wondering if God is requiring/calling me/forcing me to love him on another level; or maybe, to show my love for him on another level. If I say I love him, I know that I can't approve of certain situations. I know that I can't fellowship with people who approve of certain situations (or who are in certain situations). I know that many may say that I'm doing too much. I know that many may not want to be around me... .
    Not just dealing with outsiders, but internally - If I say I love him, I have to even put him above me. In so many ways, I have put him above me (after all, I'm in ministry - which I didn't ask for, I'm in Cincinnati - even though I'd love to leave, and so on). But, is there anything about me that contradicts my love for God? Is there anything that I refuse to let go of that, in some way, would compromise my love for God? Do I truly love God first?

    So yeah - this is what I'm thinking about today... .

   I'll holla.

No comments:

Post a Comment