Thursday, January 19, 2012

Forgiveness

   Earlier this week, someone came to me and said some things that made me HEATED. I mean, I was ready to disown a person I was so mad. Now, I know to expect persecution for righteousness sake, but when certain things are suggested subtly, and when innocent people are attacked, or I'm told I'm something ungodly by another Christian... I was hot! So, I had been fuming since that conversation.

    Now don't get it wrong - I've never tried to present myself as perfect, as holier-than-thou, or Pharisaical before men. I'm striving toward perfection, but I also believe that there's a standard that a Christian ought to uphold, in word and in deed. Ok, sometimes people fall short, sometimes change is slow to occur; but the standard (holiness) is still the standard.

    But for someone to try to say I'm hypocritical - another Christian at that - it hurt, it offended, it had me ready to come up out of the Spirit on a person.

   But, as I was doing some cleaning around the house today, God reminded me to defeat the devil with forgiveness. By walking in forgiveness truly, the enemy can't try to bind me with offense, bitterness, hate, or any other form of ungodliness. Just as my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ walked in forgiveness, even while on the cross ("Father forgive them for they know not what they do"), I too must walk in forgiveness.
    God also brought to my remembrance II Corinthians 10:3-5 (The weapons of our warfare are not carnal...) - basically, I can't defeat carnality with more carnality. That would be like bringing a can a gasoline to a 3-alarm fire. So, I had to also remember Romans 12:21 - Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with  good. So, God reminded me that to overcome the attack from the devil through that person was to fight carnality with spirituality. So, I used forgiveness to defeat the devil.

    Naturally, within our own selves, we want revenge. We want for others to know the pain that they've caused us. But, God is calling for me (and all Christians) to respond supernaturally (above what the natural response may be). So, I forgive. I hold no ought.


For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you  
(Matthew 6:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment